Tuesday 25 December 2012

Xmas Thoughts

It is Christmas night as I write this. I am keeping watch over my father in the hospital as he tries to sleep. He is not having an easy time of it. He has always been a big, tough, self sufficient guy and a recent virus followed by other complications means his first extended medical stay. I can tell he has plenty of fight in him and hope that when he recovers we can find some changes to improve his overall long term health.

With this short entry I just wanted to make something clear, in case I have given the wrong impression. My parents are awesome, loving, sacrificing parents. No complaints. I fell very fortunate to have been able to grow up under their care. Despite their raising me in a religious environment, I was safe and happy. They did, and do, their best and the harm that has occurred from the fundamentalism is less than they experienced because they took progressive steps as young adults away from an even older, more destructive orthodoxy. This is what I am doing, in turn, by stepping out from religion's dark shadow completely. I do not begrudge my folks, they did an excellent job. I only hope to be able to do nearly such a good job for my daughter.

Good thoughts for them all.

Merry Xmas

No comments:

Post a Comment